Sunday 3 April 2016

Leave the poor worship leader alone


So I am reading a lot of posts recently about this.

You know, the jokes about the endless repetition and emptiness of many of today’s worship songs (the ‘Jesus is my best friend’ songs).
Or about worship leaders who wish they were in a band and are using the church as a platform for their ego.
Or laments about many wanting to lead worship rather than preach the Word.

Some of this is quite funny. But I find it leaves a nasty taste in my mouth, and I began to wonder why.

So here’s 5 reasons why I think we should be careful when it comes to criticising worship leaders and the songs they sing:

1.       God is bigger than my personal preference


Books have been written on this, like this and this. And yes I am misusing the word ‘worship’ here (worship is what we do with our whole lives etc etc). But this is a short blog, so I’ll say this. Throughout the Bible we see a high place afforded to corporate praise and worship (e.g. Psalm 150). Playing skilfully, singing Psalms, Hymns and spiritual songs to the Lord (Ephesians 5:19, Colossians 3:16).

We are right to highlight the centrality of Scripture, and I think all would acknowledge that we can do this in song too, but it doesn’t HAVE to be a 4 verse hymn. It might include some repetition for instance; even in heaven it seems people may sing 'Holy' more than once!

I know many faithful Christians who love Jesus who are seeing people saved and loves transformed and they happen to love charismatic worship.

Stop press – God is bigger than my personal preference and he does operate outside of my denominational boundaries (although if I were Him I perhaps wouldn’t).


2.       They aren’t the only ones at it


So let’s concede for a minute that some are in the worship leading business because they love playing to 100s of people and crave the adulation of the performance rather than doing it to ‘honour God’.

The thing is, being so visible, they are an easy target.

What about the missionary who goes overseas with a superiority complex that they are the ones doing the real gospel work, secretly craving acceptance from God and others because of the sacrifice they make?
What about the young man who goes into a preaching ministry because he needs to ‘sort the church’s theology out’ and he’s the guy to do it?

Many are in ministry with mixed motives. Not that we shouldn’t check motives and deal with heretical teaching, but let’s be aware that some (and I believe it’s a minority) worship leaders aren’t the only ones at it.


3.       ‘Worship bands’ are a place of discipleship


I once heard a worship band criticised publically in a church setting. One of the band members was distraught and confused. She was growing in her faith and really sensed God had called her to lead in worship, but was now being criticised for wanting to be some contestant off the X-Factor.

The thing is, I have seen so many young people stay in church because of a peer-group band. In the long term it shouldn't be THE reason they stay of course, and most won’t be platinum-selling artists, but for many it offers an opportunity to serve, make a difference and to enjoy being in church.

Let’s be careful that we don’t alienate many who are young in the faith who will read sarcastic comments and take them (unsurprisingly) personally.
 
 

4.       It can sound snide


Look, I am a Calvinist. I have a high view of Scripture and in a corporate gathering look to the reading and preaching of God’s Word as the high point of the service.

And yet many comments I hear about young worship leaders are snide and designed to entertain.

1 Thessalonians 5:11 says ‘Therefore encourage one another and build one another up…’ – this doesn’t mean don’t rebuke, it doesn’t mean don’t call out false teaching – but I sense it means that when we do so, to do so in private where possible, and to truly call someone to repentance rather than gain likes on Facebook for a witty post.

 

5.       There are poor hymns too


For me, nothing can beat a good hymn - so many contain such richness and truth.

But there are a lot of bad ones too.

I hear a lot about the new ‘Jesus is my best friend’ songs but am yet to hear people state examples after such a sweeping statement.

In fact, I could name several, but that’s not surprising. Charles Wesley wrote over 6000 hymns, but less than 600 are still referred to today. He wrote in an era when he was seen as some new kid on the block writing new-fangled songs and lovers of ‘proper hymns’ were angry.

So let’s recognise that in every era some great songs will be written, and some not-so-good ones too. But don’t let’s prevent people singing a new song to the Lord (Ps 96:1).

Clearly it’s a huge subject. There’s loads of books, posts, courses and opinions out there. I haven’t touched on most issues so feel free to comment and discuss. One post I find helpful is ‘Is Being a Worship Leader Even Biblical’? and this book ‘Worship Old and New’ is really superb.

 
Image credit: Shutterstock

1 comment:

www.hypersmash.com