Tuesday 17 September 2013

What's the point of blogging?

So here it is, my first attempt at a blog at the age of 31.

‘What’s taken you so long’? Some will ask. ‘Why even bother?’ others will reply.

In a world where people are talking and rarely listening, what’s the point of yet another blog?

Here's 4 reasons I've had for not blogging:

1) I've not prioritised it in my schedule - too many other things take up my time let alone blogging!

2) I’ve often see it as a bit narcissistic and introspective. There's a world out there that doesn't often care about what I think!

3) I find myself doubting whether I’d have anything interesting to say anyway.

4) Dealing with my feelings after having one person read your carefully crafted post with no comments is a scary proposition.




So why the change of mind? Here are 4 reasons why I believe in the power of blogging:




1) It forces you to organise your thoughts
I might have opinions on a range of things, for example that Arsenal are the best football team in the league this season, but until I’ve tried (unsuccessfully in this case) to argue it through I’ll continue in my self-delusion and lack the ability to convince others to share my view

2) If you believe in something, then tell others
Anyone who believes anything that matters wants others to share in their discovery, otherwise they don’t really believe it in the first place.

3) It makes you put your neck on the line
Believe something controversial and you’re tempted to keep it quiet rather than risk ridicule, criticism or even worse. “You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden” – today the internet is that hill – the question is, will we put our light on it or hide away?

4) Blogs are receptive as well as expressive communication portals
Rather than just speaking, blogs call us to listen. Discussion of topics you have posted about are an opportunity to learn from others and clarify your beliefs and views. Writing also causes you to take hold of what you have heard, evaluate its truth, and either allow it to shape what you write or how you respond.

What about you? Why do you blog? Should we be focussing our attentions elsewhere? How do you blog effectively?

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for these helpful thoughts on blog writing! Certainly challenging to think that often we prefer to have our thoughts hazy and unclear rather than organised. As for sharing what we believe, how important that is, else we hide behind a false veneer. I'd like to reflect more on your last paragraph... 'Rather than just speaking blogs call us to listen'. I know this is a much neglected skill in our culture and also for me as I need to grow in my ability to listen to others and especially God. How important it is to be quick to listen and slow to speak, James 1:19.

    ReplyDelete

www.hypersmash.com