Tuesday 14 January 2014

Why and how to memorise scripture



Part 2 of 3 posts looking at how we work out our one resolution for 2014, to know Christ.

Let me be honest. I find the concept of memorisation tricky to start with.

It brings up a number of images in my mind. Well, related to exams mostly. Memorising stuff that is just so boring. Happy that once the exam was over I could just forget it and get on with my life. Like driving theory. Or the maths exam. I’ve recently taken my first exam in years and had to memorise a huge amount – it was hard work! And memorisation seems like hard work. And I have a busy life. And I get easily distracted. And my short term memory is not good (just ask my wife!)...

And yet despite all of this over the last 3 years I’ve found memorising Bible verses and passages really helpful. Not necessarily easy, but helpful. So why and how does meditation help us with one resolution for 2014, to know Christ?

WHY?


1. To become like Christ.


This is the aim of the Christian life. We want the mind of Christ. We want his words to permeate our thinking so that we might think and speak and act like Jesus would and therefore show people Christ. 2 Corinthians 3:18: “…we all, who…contemplate the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his image with ever-increasing glory…”

2. To overcome sin.


I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you” Psalm 119:11

The word of God, Paul says, is the ‘sword of the Spirit’ (Eph 6:17) and so when ready with God’s word we are able to resist the evil one and show that our greatest satisfaction is Christ rather than the sin we are being tempted by.

3. To pastor others


As someone who has been a Christian for many years, I want to be able to bring God’s truth into difficult situations. I want to bring people hope, peace, encouragement, challenge, rebuke. And yet if I don’t know God’s word I end up saying something vague, which sounds right but isn’t bringing the word of God with clarity to a situation.
 
There is power when we bring God’s word into situations. Hebrews 4:12 - For the word of God [is] quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and [is] a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

4. To become wise


This says it all really:

Joshua 1:18: This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success.


5. To declare the gospel


When we are speaking to unbelievers we don’t often have time to go to the Bible, even if it’s only a click away. Or even when we do, we might not know where to go in any case.  It is very powerful when we know the key gospel passages and can either recite or quickly turn to a key verse. Consider learning 1-2 verses for 4 components of the gospel message: 1) Creation, 2) Fall, 3) Redemption, 4) Consummation.

6. To enjoy God


Meditating on the word of God brings us close to him. Memorising verses, and in so doing meditating on them, chewing them over, has massively deepened my walk with God. Storing verses and passages helps us to relate to God as He is and to enjoy Him. For example, imagine being able to call this to mind through the day:

Isaiah 61: 1- 3: "The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me, because the Lord has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the broken-hearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners, to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favour and the day of vengeance of our God, to comfort all who mourn, and provide for those who grieve in Zion—to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of joy instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair. They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the Lord for the display of his splendour".

 “Bible memorization is absolutely fundamental to spiritual formation. If I had to choose between all the disciplines of the spiritual life, I would choose Bible memorization, because it is a fundamental way of filling our minds with what it needs. This book of the law shall not depart out of your mouth. That’s where you need it! How does it get in your mouth? Memorization” Dallas Willard, professor of Philosophy at the University of Southern California

 

HOW?


1. Make time


I find that setting aside 5-10 minutes a day is usually enough. If you  write verses or passages down on a note card to put in your back pocket you can read it at intervals throughout the day. Or have them on your phone. It is possible to find slots in the day, be it at long traffic lights, standing in a queue, sitting on a train or waiting for kids to finish their party/football training/scouts etc.

2. Make use of resources


There are loads of resources around now.

Fighter verses is a great tool which takes you through a verse a week, and has a good app version as well as a kids version. The Navigators was where I started and they also have a plan for you to follow both on paper and via their app.

Logos also have a tool for memorisation which is helpful.

This article has good tips on techniques for memorisation as do websites such as this one.

Kids can also learn verses and this article has some great tips for the kids. Fighter verses has a kids option which you can find through their website.

3. Have a plan


I find that unless I’ve planned what I’m going to learn I won’t do it. I might say I’ll memorise random verses I come across, but it doesn’t seem to work for me. That also means you won’t be tempted to memorise just the verses you like.

I’ve found it best to start small. Commit to one verse a week e.g. like the Fighter verses or Navigators suggest. This will give you an overview of the Bible As you go you might then gain in confidence and attempt a longer passage. Perhaps start with Psalm 1, then Psalm 46, Romans 8.

The next step is to memorise a whole book. I thought this sounded impossible, but got through Ephesians last year. It really is amazing to learn a whole book.

4. Have a method


The method I’ve used is quite simple and unashamedly copied from others.

Essentially you take your first verse, read it ten times, and then close your eyes or shut your Bible and say it ten times. And that's it for the day. The next day you open the verse up and  you say that verse again 5 (if easy) or 10 times. Then repeat the first step for the next verse. And then you do them both together. And that's it for the day. And so on.

So basically, the answer is: repetition and review. Repetition and review.

This resource outlines these steps in more detail and is very helpful for longer passages.

5. Remember the reason


Memorisation isn’t to look or sound impressive. It isn’t boring, rote learning. It is about the fight of faith. It is about life and death. It is about knowing Christ, not simply knowing about Him. That means you don’t need to get too hung up on plans – a plan and structure is there to serve you rather than enslave you, so if you don’t reach your target (and I often don’t) then don’t worry.

 

Any thoughts or other tips that you can suggest?

 

Some of this material is adapted from:

No comments:

Post a Comment

www.hypersmash.com