Thursday 21 May 2015

3 Things I Learnt From My Technology-Free Day



No email, TV, text messaging, social media…for 24 hours.

Most of you will have clicked here to see how long I lasted so I’ll tell you

10 minutes!

I turned over in bed and checked Facebook  - like I was on autopilot – and I couldn't help commenting on a really incendiary link someone had posted.

After that however, apart from a phone call to the hospital (I’m off with a bad back, see my previous post) the day went well.

So what did I learn from my day?

1.       I’m addicted to it


I constantly look at my phone.

Has this guy responded to my comment on Facebook (not yet)?
Has John replied to my email (come on, I sent it 15 minutes ago!)?
What’s the cricket score (depressing but I still want to know)?

I noticed some simple things on my day off:

Our bathroom echoes (I won’t elaborate)

I heard a woodpecker whilst waiting for Oz and Rob (who were being fashionable late to meet me)

I wondered what I did before my phone – perhaps I used those quiet moments to think, to pray, or to enjoy the silence – now I can fill every waking minute with interesting ‘noise’.

Technology addiction is growing fast; indeed it’s thought to be as strong as craving certain drugs and these 9 facts about social media are amazing.

This experiment has shown me that I am as at risk as anyone, and only by pulling back did I realise my vulnerability.

 

2.       I can’t avoid it


Almost everything I do now is related to my computer.

Be it communicating via email, writing a paper, reading the news or my blogs, using Logos bible tools, e-books….. whilst it has its dangers as I mention above, it is the reality of the world I live in.

And it raises the question
 

'How do I live well as a follower of Jesus in the midst of it all?'

How do I respond to the fact that the pace of my life seems to increase in line with the technology I have?

I think this is a profound challenge to get to grips with.
 
Many have written well on its uses e.g. prayer apps, churches and dangers e.g. idolatry and being a Christian in a digital future highlighting how technology is moulding our identity and its link to loneliness and depression amongst many other things.

I’m sure you have more answers than I have – but its answers we need.


3.       I love it


Many of the podcasts I listen to are funny, informative and I can listen when it best suits me.

Communicating with friends all over the world wherever I am be it in a field nearby or in a refugee camp is amazing. I wouldn't have known that the shaking at 2.43 this morning was an earthquake.

And so I want to embrace it.
I want to learn how to use it more effectively.

In my work with CMF I would love to explore using podcasts and videos (by 2018 79% of the online content consumed by 18-21 year olds will be through video or audio – not plain text!).

And as we seek to share the good news of Jesus - whilst nothing replaces real life on life, face to face discipleship - we have more opportunities than ever to get resources into the hands of people who need them most.

On reflection I have come up with 3 resolutions (you can check with me to see if I keep to them):

 

1.       Have one day a week away from technology


That means a rest from social media and emails for one day

2.       Check my emails just twice and day and never on my phone


This means I’m not feeling enslaved to responding immediately and actually will be much more time-efficient


3.       Do my best to be ‘in the present’ when in company, especially my family


This means I am more likely to listen, enjoy and consider the moment, giving my full attention to people rather than sharing it with someone else 2000 miles away.
 
In other words, no social media until I am genuinely not interfering with a face to face relationship.

 

I hope these resolutions aren’t legalistic but encourage me to be a better steward of what God has given me and to rely on Him to guide me in this

I might even try another ‘fasting day’ - and see if I can last longer than 10 minutes!

 
What do you think? Any tips on how to handle technology?


Image: Shutterstock

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

www.hypersmash.com